10-episode series premieres in January 2022
The staff for the live-action series of Otomate‘s Hakuōki otome game franchise revealed a visual and seven more cast members on Friday.
The new cast includes: (character names are listed last name first)
- Takato Nagata as Yamazaki Susumu
- Kōhei Fukuyama as Tōdō Heisuke
- Yūki Tokitō as Harada Sanosuke
- Kōji Saikawa as Nagakura Shinpachi
- Yū Imari as Kazama Chikage
- Taiki Nakabayashi as Yamanami Keisuke
- Kōtarō Tanaka as Kondō Isami
The previously announced cast includes:
- Tsubasa Sakiyama as Hijikata Toshizō
- Kotoko Wakayanagi as Yukimura Chizuru
- Masato Yano as Saitō Hajime
- Sonde Kanai as Okita Sōji
Masanobu Rokusha and Yūki Nishikata are directing the series off scripts by Shinya Hokimoto. Kuniyuki Morohashi (Musasino!, Midnight Crazy Trail, Avengers Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher) is composing the music. Drama Design Corporation is producing the project in collaboration with Toei Studios Kyoto.
The show will premiere in January 2022 on WOWOW, with a planned 10-episode run. The first episode will be free to watch.
The story of the game franchise and its various adaptations centers around the historical Shinsengumi samurai group in Kyoto during the 19th century. A girl named Chizuru Yukimura arrives in Kyoto from Edo to search for her missing father. She finds herself embroiled in the conflict between the frightening Rasetsu and the Shinsengumi (led by Hijikata and others), thanks to a fateful connection with her missing father.
The game franchise includes multiple spinoffs, several anime adaptations, and a series of musicals. The franchise’s Hakuōki SSL ~sweet school life~ high school spinoff game has also inspired a live-action TV series, a musical, and a live-action film.