Stage play runs in Tokyo in March
The official website for the stage play adaptation of Natsuki Takaya‘s Fruits Basket manga revealed the cast, a visual, a video, and the run period on Wednesday.
The stage play will run from March 4-13 at the Nihonbashi Mitsui Hall in Tokyo. Nobuhiro Mōri is writing the play and is the executive producer, and Tarō Hasegawa is directing the play.
The play stars:
- Ayano-Christie Yoshida as Tohru Honda
- Naoya Kitagawa as Yuki Sohma
- Shōhei Hashimoto as Kyo Sohma
- Hiroki Nakada as Ayame Sohma
- Shōgo Tamura as Hatsuharu Sohma
- Ruito Koga as Momiji Sohma
- Yūna Sekine as Kagura SohmaY
- Yūto Adachi as Ritsu Sohma
- Chisato Minami as Arisa Uotani
- Yukari Nakamura as Saki Hanajima
- Yuria Haga as Kyōko Honda
- Seiya Inagaki as Kazuma Sohma
- Yū Imari as Hatori Sohma
- Yūya Asato as Shigure Sohma
The manga inspired a 26-episode series in 2001, and then a three-season reboot anime series aired from 2019-2021. The reboot series is also getting an upcoming compilation film titled Fruits Basket -prelude- that will open in Japan on February 18. The film will include the previously announced Kyо̄ko to Katsuya no Monogatari (Kyо̄ko and Katsuya’s Story) anime that will center on the backstory of Tohru’s parents Kyо̄ko and Katsuya, which the 2019-2021 series did not adapt. The film will also include new scenes — written specifically for the film by Takaya — depicting events from after the television anime’s story.
Takaya serialized the original Fruits Basket manga in Hakusensha‘s Hana to Yume magazine from 1998-2006. Tokyopop released the manga in English from 2004 to 2009, and Yen Press re-released the manga in 12 updated omnibus volumes beginning in June 2016.